The lumbar vertebral column consists of five separate vertebrae, and the intervertebral discs that lie between them. The lumbar vertebrae are the largest of the vertebral column and designed to bear the full weight of the upper body.
“Low back pain is a leading cause of disability. It occurs in similar proportions in all cultures, interferes with quality of life and work performance, and is the most common reason for medical consultation” – WHO
Macro and micro trauma as well as body habits that alter the biomechanics, predisposes the lumbar spine to degenerative diseases and chronic back pain.
Typical sources of low back pain include:
- The large nerve roots in the low back that go to the legs may be irritated
- The smaller nerves that supply the low back may be irritated
- The large paired lower back muscles (erector spinae) may be strained
- The bones, ligaments or joints may be damaged
- An intervertebral disc may be degenerating
Osteopathy can help with many types of back pain.
If you are suffering with low back pain then maybe I can help. Please contact me for advice or appointments.